Gold Canyon, Az

Gold Canyon, Az
New Years Day 2015, Gold Canyon, AZ

Tuesday, February 13, 2018

Who...Who...Who


When I have been at the pool I always had this feeling I was being watched.  Then we were told about the Horned Owls who had a nest in one of the palm trees right next to the pool.  Apparently this couple has been here for a few years and after a quick google search I found out that they usually lay eggs in late January and incubation takes about 25 days.  Will have to go back to see if I can get some shots of the little ones.  The partner, not sure if male or female, is often up in the top of the palm trees, I guess waiting for his turn on the nest.
Strange that they would pick pool side to nest as this is probably the busiest place in the park.  The pool, hot tubs and patio to the club house are on one side and the Pickleball course are on the other side.  Obviously very comfortable with all the activity and curious onlookers standing 20 feet from their tree and gawking at them.
I circled the tree, snapping shots and her gaze never left me.  Didn't even blink.  Got to get myself a bigger lens.  500mm would sure bring out the detail of those feathers without having to crop so severely.
I took these pictures at about 7:30 AM after all my morning shots of the Super Blue Blood Moon and then got some shots of the the Superstition Mountains and the main drive into the RV Park.  The light is so much softer at this time of the morning.

The nest is only about 20' off the ground right next to the Pool.


Peek a boo!


My, what big eyes you have. 


Flat Iron is on the right.  There is a hike that goes up there.  
Not on my agenda. Thank-you very much. 


A very pretty drive into the park from I 60.


We were at Walgreens picking up some meds for Lori's hives 
(result of reaction to pool chemicals).  
Saw these on the shelves next to the Cold meds.  
Hmmm.  A sign of the times. 


Lunch at the Dana Park mall.  
A Sunday morning visit to Barnes and Noble followed 
by lunch at one of the outdoor cafe's has become 
a monthly occurrence.  


My bike ride through Gold Canyon takes in some great views.  
Golf course down below with Superstitions beyond. 


One evening we went to the Barleens Dinner Show.  $38. per ticket got us a great 
meal complete with roast beef, mashed potatoes, chicken breast and carrots all 
smothered in brown gravy.  Dessert was Chocolate Cake which was served first cause,
as the host told us, life at our age is short so why wait.  Following dinner 
Ice Cream Sundays' were also available however Lori and I passed on this indulgence.  
Mark partook and it looked delicious.  The meal was excellent.  
Following dinner we were thoroughly entertained with the Rock n' Roll Tribute show.  
They played lots of the great hits from the 50's and 60's, added in some impersonations 
and comedy routines.  We were thoroughly entertained.  This is a must see if you are 
in the area.  They have a number of different themed shows during the Snowbird season 
and it is recommended purchasing tickets well in advance.  


Mark & I listening intently to the wisdom of our wives.


Not sure what they put in the lemonade but Lori and Jan were very happy.
Perhaps it was just the fact they had the total attention of their men.  


Not sure how much hair spray it took to keep his peak in place.
It lasted the whole show. (note the hair)


This guy did a great Elvis, complete with the sneer. 


He also did a great impersonation of Barney Fife of Andy Griffith fame.  
If you don't know what I'm taking about you are obviously very young. 
Google it.  


Not the whole band.  4 more out of frame. 



Now for the rest of my story which I alluded to a few blogs ago.  The reason I now have the time to update my blogs.  
I was out playing pickle ball on Wednesday and as per usual they spend a good 5 minutes before we start reminding us that we aren't as young as we used to be and that injuries can happen very easily.  Yada, Yada, heard it before.  Lets get going, eh! 
So off we go.  I do all my stretching exercises and keep my athletic endeavours well within my diminished capability.  During my second game I was at the back of the court, planted my foot to position myself to return a shot and CRACK.   
I felt and heard a crack in my ankle.  What I don't get is that I wasn't reaching or twisting and that my feet were basically under my shoulders so no reason for something to give out.  I hobbled off the court and biked back home.  Hopped up the steps of the trailer, applied ice and propped up my foot above my heart and proceeded to watch my outside ankle bone grow and grow.  
Lori was still partaking in her dolphin activities but when she got home I informed her we were probably off to the hospital for some X-rays.  I phoned the Travel Medical Ins (don't leave home without it) and got a claim number and off we went to my favourite Emergency ward at  Mountain Visa Medical Centre.  I had been here for some medical attention 3 years before.  There was only one other couple in the waiting room and after we gave our personal information we were taken in to see the Dr.  After some preliminary questioning they brought in a machine to our room.  Looked like a large commercial floor buffing machine but was actually a portable X-Ray.  Took a couple of pictures and then the Dr came back with her shadows.  One shadow was a med student and the other had a laptop and was busy typing in all the questions they asked and the answers I provided.  Then off they went to view the results of the X-Rays.  After 30 minutes the two shadows came back to tell me there were no broken bones, just a sprained ankle.  A sprained ankle is basically a stretching or possible tearing of the tendons and ligaments surrounding the ankle and can be anywhere from a Level 1 to a Level 3 sprain.  No way of telling specifically without doing an MRI.  I was expecting an MRI next but they decided based on my symptoms and lack of excruciating pain that there was no torn tissue and a splint, crutches, ice and some Motrin combined with some time off my foot would heal me up.  
So they wheeled me out sporting my new splint and a pair of shiny crutches.  Although I drove to the hospital the Med Student that accompanied us to the parking lot suggested it was time for Lori to learn how to drive the truck.  Lori has not driven this truck and has repeatedly refused my offer of driving lessons.  Its not that the truck is difficult to drive, in fact it almost drives itself, but she is a bit afraid of how big it is.  Well despite the look of fear in her eyes she navigated through the parking lot out onto the Interstate and got us all the way home, even merging from an on-ramp into traffic on I60, with no problem at all.  I wonder what sort of injury it would take for her to drive the truck with the 5th wheel hooked up.  I don't think I want to find out.  
So for the next while I am on my ass watching the Olympics or CNN and periodically trying to navigate down the narrow hall and up 3 steps to the bathroom on my crutches.  Haven't fallen over yet.  I'm not in any pain and the swelling has gone down.  I can now put some weight on it but with the slightest twist I can feel the ligaments pop so I'm not ready for a return to the Pickleball courts just yet.  Frankly,  my season and perhaps my career is done.  Shuffleboard looks like a fun game.  Much like curling and no sweeping required.    

To steal a phrase from a fellow blogger
This is my view from here. 


Thats it for now.  We do have a few activities planned for the next week as friends from home are coming down.  I will be the chauffeur but probably won't venture too far from the truck while they explore.  

More on that later, till then Go Canada Go.  








No comments:

Post a Comment